Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Tide is High!

This morning, I was whistling along to Blondie's "The Tide is High!" (click to listen!) This is one and a half hours after high tide on the morning of October 30th. I have never seen the water so high. The current water level is impacted by several factors; crazy amounts of rain from Hurricane Sandy, a full moon causing a spring tide, and sustained 25kt winds out of the south, which blows water into and up the bay.  I checked the boat at Noon (low tide) and the water receded only six inches.  I am thinking that tonight's high tide at 18:40 will be one to watch.  I am prepared to bring my hip boots and a step ladder! Chances are that the water will be up to the brick walkway.

In other "Sandy" news, we never lost power at home during the hurricane. The lights flickered a couple of dozen times, but I think it was the insurance policy I bought for the storm that kept us from losing power!!!...a Honda EU2000i...


This is the generator that I have had my eye on for quite a while and"Sandy" talked me into buying it...finally!  This generator has enough power to keep our sump pumps in operation as well as running the refrigerator.  It is quite small and very quiet and I plan to use it on the sailboat.  It has a 30 amp port which will provide power for the boat while anchored out. How cool is that?  Well, I think it is cool.





No comments: