Sunday, July 25, 2010

Collateral Damage 7-25-2010

We had no plans to go sailing today as we had two parties to attend. While in between parites, I was watching the Orioles game on TV. Don't ask me why, I just was! It was hot and sunny here in Annapolis, but the wind was blowing like crazy in Baltimore and the game went into rain delay. So I checked the radar and there was a pretty impressive line of thunderstorms heading our way. I figured I had 15 minutes before it hit so I went and checked on the dock lines, etc. I adjusted a couple of them to make sure we didn't get blown up against the bulkhead. As I finished up with my boat, my dock neighbor was in much need of help. His Audi convertible top wouldn't go up! I helped him cover his car with a tarp just in time. I sat there for a while and watched the squall come through. The sound of the wind blowing through the sailboat rigging was amazing!

After the second party, Eileen and I rode our bikes to the marina to check things out. We talked with some friends who were there throughout the storm. The wind speed at our marina was measured at 77 knots. Yes, seventy seven knots! That is 89 miles per hour. Here are a couple of photos I took with my blackberry. Not the best quality, but you will get a sense of how bad this storm cell really was.

The headsail on this boat was shredded

Zoom in on this one (click the picture)! This is a 34 ft catamaran being brought in via SeaTow. The mast is snapped in half. I'm thinking 77 knots was too much wind for a full main! I am thankful that we had no damage to our boat which was safely in her slip.



No comments: