Friday, January 9, 2009

Interesting Food Choices

Prior to arriving in KL, I spent two days in Chengdu, China. This is my first visit to Asia. China is a very interesting place. Tons of people! I flew into Shanghai direct from Chicago and then on to Chengdu, which is 3 hours West of Shanghai by jet. My first meal in China was breakfast, and here it is! I didn't recognize too many things and not sure what I was eating. It was very good though!

For lunch, we went to a Chinese restaurant...imagine that! The Chinese food here is not like American Chinese. Everything is family style in a private dining room. This meal had a soup pot with a burner that boiled the soup. In the middle of the table on a lazy susan, was an assortment of beef, lamb, chicken, liver, some unrecognizable things, veggies, noodles, etc. You just pick up the items you want one or two at a time, cook them, and then enjoy! I am a little clumsy with the chopsticks, but getting better. The meal lasted about two hours.

This is one of the lunch items in Kuala Lumpur. Why cut the heads off when you can cook them? Again, this was family style.




1 comment:

Matthew Martin Nickoloff said...

Leah: does the fish-head remind you of Honduras? :)

Matthew: Any cool sailboats in the waters there?

The Pea: What are you guys talking about? I can't see a thing...

Glad to hear things are settling down for you, both in your bowels and in your travels! We love you Cap'n!